SHOP AMAZON THROUGH MY LINK!!

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

There's Nothing Like the Good Ol' Days...

Check out this picture. It is the 1977 District Spelling Bee in Belen, NM. I am in the lower left corner looking off to the side.



This picture makes me long for the days when everyone went to church and children were raised with manners. When families struggled but took pleasure in the simple things in life. When eating out was something special, not something regular. When it didn't matter so much about the latest and greatest outfits and every teenager didn't feel like they deserved the newest and most expensive vehicle.

I just came back from visiting my sister and her family in Odessa, TX. Let me tell you about a godly family. My sister actually prayed that her boys would grow to love church, and they recently joind FBC Odessa and the boys want to go each Sunday. My sister cooks a wonderful meal every night for her family and going out to eat at the Rankin's is a special event. My sister and her family have a beautiful new house that is filled with beautiful things that they got BY WORKING HARD! We need more families like the Rankins. Yolanda, you and Dan and Zach and Drew are a light in this evil world! Thanks for being a family that has work ethics and morals and strong values! I love you all.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your kind words Michael! We aren't perfect, just forgiven! Thank God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Rankins are a wonderful godly family that I am proud to know and call friends! It WOULD be great to go back to a simplier time which we grew up in. My son, Gavin told me yesterday at school the teacher asked how many kids had cell phones (because the cell phones would be taken up during the TAKS test if brought). Gavin said that he and two other kids were the only ones who did not raise their hand in the whole class of 22. I just couldn't believe it! Gavin is the same age as Zach, a 5th grader! WHAT? I told him that maybe some kids raised their hands out of peer pressure and were not being honest. Even if that were the case, probably most were telling the truth, and that is staggering to me. It makes me wonder if next year I will be giving in to a phone. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "When it didn't matter so much about the latest and greatest outfits and every teenager didn't feel like they deserved the newest and most expensive vehicle."

    I'm beginning to think you and I didn't grow up in the same town. That or you were completely oblivious to what was going on around you. Girls were constantly competing with each other to see who had the latest fashion, the latest Swatch Watch or Jordache Jeans.

    And same for cars, hell I knew tons of friends whose families owned Cadillacs or some other expensive vehicle and yet their home was literally crumbling around them.

    Incidentally, just because someone goes to church doesn't make them any better than the person who doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sus, You are correct about the latest fashions and swatch watches and the 80's were the time when all this glorious materialism came down and slapped us all in the face. The days gone by I'm referring to were much earlier.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments anonymous or otherwise but, I'd like to ask for respectful comments only that do not use profanity. Plus I'd like to know how you found my blog.
Thanks,
Michael